Monday, December 13, 2010

One Dollar Trilogy: Red Creek

I received a project at work which required me to write three short western themed music bits for an awards gala. It was a rush job since I only had a few days to do everything. And to top that I didn't get the video clips the music was meant for since it was in edit at the same time. Here's the first of these tracks. I titled it:


Since time was sparse I didn't even begin to create something inspired and new but started with a basic western palette of sounds: lonely primitive drums, the Mexican trumpet, the acoustic guitar. Around these I wrote a simple progression to create a foreboding mood; a waiting but driven atmosphere. The track grows as it goes along. I used a lot of other familiar elements on this one as well. The always ominous church bell is present as is the massive french horn section and the gritty distorted electric guitar.

This is not a very difficult track as it is simple in structure and melody. But I like it all the same.

Gear I used for this track:

DAWs and editors:
  • Cakewalk Sonar 8.5
Samplers, instruments and effects:
  • NI Kontakt 3
  • Independence Free
  • Kjaerhus Classic Master Limiter
  • Melda Equalizer
  • Sonar PerfectSpace
Libraries and impulses:
  • Project SAM Brass
  • VSL Horizon series Chamber Strings
  • VSL Horizon series Overdrive
  • VSL Horizon series Concert Guitar
  • NI Kontakt 3 Library
  • Sonivox Flying Hand Percussion
  • Ilio Origins
  • Independence Free Library
  • Gnomehammer Sleigh Bells
  • Sonivox Flying Hand Percussion impulses

No comments:

Post a Comment